March 22, 2012

florentines.

I think that I have seen a lot of old movies for a person my age. I owe this to my mother who is a huge TCM devotee. She always has a classic black and white film on at night and over the years I have watched many with her. I have to admit that several of them are ones that I would consider favorites. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sunday in New York, and Dial M for Murder being my top three.

Last night I went to the showing of Casablanca in the movie theatre for its 70th anniversary with my mother and her friend. It wasn't my first time seeing the film but it was a fun experience watching it on the big screen. There were even adults dressed up like the characters which felt like being at a Harry Potter showing with an older generation. 

So I have to thank my mother for the cultural enrichment that she has given me. Because heaven knows if it wasn't for her I would think the line "Here's looking at you, kid" originated from Sex and the City. 

So this week I made Florentine cookies. I've noticed that cookies make up all my baking posts and I swear I am capable of baking other things. I just really love cookies.


Florentines or "lace cookies" as I like to call them, are crisp, thin cookies sandwiched with a layer of chocolate. This was the first time I ever attempted them and I was surprised just how easy they were. I don't know why but I always assumed that they were much more of a difficult process. But they are so simple you don't even need to use a mixer.


Florentine Cookies  Adapted from Nestle
11 tbs butter
2 cups oats
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line baking sheets with foil.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan; remove from heat.
Stir in oats, sugar, flour, corn syrup, milk, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
Drop by the teaspoon, about 3 inches apart, onto baking sheets.

Bake 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
Place foil with baked cookies on wire racks and cool completely.
Peel foil from the cookies.

Microwave chocolate on medium power for 1 minute, stir.
Microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth.
Spread a thin layer of the melted chocolate onto the flat side of a cookie, top with another cookie.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment